Homeschooling while you are travelling

The HomeLearn program can be used while you are travelling ... around Australia or even overseas.

As the program is a combination of materials that need to be printed from the website, as well as other resources, the aspect of access need to be considered and allowed for while you are travelling.

Firstly, the core work for the pack needs to be downloaded and printed, so you will have to have access to some reasonable internet and printing facilities at least every 3 weeks.

As well as that, you will need to have 'some' more regaulra access to internet while you are travelling. This does not need to be 'full-time' high quality ... our program does not involve any video-conferencing or similar high-demand connections. If you can watch a You-Tube video, you have enough speed, and if you can download and print occasional other items you probably have enough 'bandwidth' and resources. Mobile broadband should be fine in most places, or you can use 'telecentres' or 'internet cafes' of libraries. We generally suggest you would need access for an hour or two at least every couple of days, but it is possible to juggle with longer stretches if needed.

One last aspect related to travelling is the choice between 'homeschooling' and 'distance education'. In most states, 'distance education' is not available by 'choice' but only if you are (a) travelling, (b) in a remote location where you can't access a school, or (c) there is a medically-provable reason why the child can not attend school. If you are travelling, then reason (a) can apply, so you would be eligible for distance education from your state Education Department. Read our FAQ on the role of parents or our Blog post on homeschooling versus distance education if you are not sure of the difference. If you want distance education, contact your Education Department; If you are looking for 'homeschooling' we can definitely help.